Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Unreasonable



Do you know just how annoying an unreasonable parent can be? They acted so immature and brainless when it comes to their own children issue. In Chinese you call them 傻父母. It means that they think and thought that their children are the only wise ones around and there is plenty of naive excuses when it's their children fault. I believe that every parent wants the best for their children. And also deeply believe that their children are extraordinary and unique. C'on! Everyone is unique. Even twins are identical!!!

There was this particular parent (who already gave me an unforgettable school-open meeting early this year, and several other cases...) came in this morning and started questioning me on why didn't I give her son his exercise book so that he can study his dictation for today. Now, I am not the one teaching English. It was another teacher. Since my class student started on Spelling, she'd give them the exercise book on Friday so that they can do their homework and study their Spellings (and now even Dictations) during the weekend and pass it up on Monday. The English spelling or dictation always falls on Tuesdays. And usually, she would stamped the word Spelling and the date to remind the parents about it. For me, on the other hand, have a small book for them to copy and take back home for the whole week to study their Ejaan and Rencana. They'll do their Bahasa Malaysia writing homework in another exercise book. So they don't need to pass up that small book until the day of their Ejaan test, which is every Wednesday. We, as teachers, would also remind them about their responsibilities to guide and coach their children at home since the beginning of the year. All these while, there was not a single complain from the parents. And the children are doing better now in their assessments.

But this very morning, she came in with an unfriendly attitude, questioning me why didn't I give her son his exercise book. She claims that her son does very well in ALL his English test
(erm... her son actually failed his English test in the first semester) but not for today because he didn't study the words at all (oh ya, she often reminds me that she USED to be an English teacher in the states... and she's a black French). I try to explain that all these while it's been the same way, that they'd pass up that book on Monday. Parents would jot down the words for their children spelling test. She then said she did last time because she DIDN'T TRUST US. But last Friday, her son had too much homework to do and HOW CAN WE EXPECT A FOUR AND A HALF YEARS OLD CHILD TO REMEMBER HIS WORK!?

Hello!!! YOU didn't jot down!!! It's not your son's fault... YOU!!!

What's more, that English teacher has already gave those words a few weeks in advance.

And then she goes, "That's right! SO HOW CAN YOU EXPECT HIM TO REMEMBER EVERYTHING IN ADVANCED!? HE'S ONLY 4 AND A HALF YEARS OLD!!!"

I tried to explain to her that it's impossible that they get that book on Monday because the English teacher will not have enough time to mark their homework. But she insisted that she always has her son's book on Monday so that she can drill him and review with him the day before the test. As a matter of fact, this never happen before. The children will hand in their books on Monday and the teacher will keep them until Friday and then distribute to them to do their homework during the weekend (as mentioned earlier).

Just as I wanted to show her the dates, she hold MY SMALL BOOK that I let the children have to study for their Ejaan and said, "If you can let them have this book for one whole week, why can't you give this (the English exercise book) to them too?"

I was... too tired to argue explaine.

I think in the end, she already knew that she was wrong. Maybe she has really thick skin on her face that's why she's trying really hard to argue with me.

You know what? Right at that moment, I wish I could just slap her right on the face and ask her to leave. And I feel very sorry for her son. He is getting more ignorance from me. I can't help.

What will you do when you come across unreasonable people? Keep quiet? Smile back? Fight back? Or walk away?

Good night.

No comments: